[SciPy-user] Building on Windows with the Intel VisualFortranCompiler

Albert Strasheim fullung at gmail.com
Wed Aug 9 09:06:24 CDT 2006

Hello all

> <snip>
> > Removing the code mentioned above seemed to fix the problem. Filed NumPy
> > ticket #234 for this one.
> >
> > http://projects.scipy.org/scipy/numpy/ticket/234
> Fixed.

Looks good. I think the Compaq Visual Fortran Compiler (the compiler was
bought from Compaq by Intel) code has the same error. Maybe you want to fix

> > Unfortunately, it seems the special/cephes/const.c code contains some
> > constructs that MSVC doesn't accept. I reported these here some months
> ago:
> >
> > http://projects.scipy.org/scipy/scipy/ticket/12
> Can you try the patch I just attached to that?

Patch worked. Next issue here:

MSVC doesn't like cephes redefining fabs, which the compiler considers to be
an instrinsic function.

Next issue after this: building with the following site.cfg fails on

src_dirs = C:\home\albert\work2\blas
src_dirs = C:\home\albert\work2\lapack

The reason this fails is that the step where the LAPACK files are linked
into a static library generates command line arguments that are about 80000
characters long. The limit seems to be 32k:

The way to get around this is to use the Windows @ trick. You put the
command line arguments in a temporary file (the tempfile module is probably
your friend here) and execute the command as:

lib.exe @tempfilecontainingcommandlinearguments

This is what SCons does when linking large numbers of files on Windows.