[SciPy-user] ATLAS and gcc v4.0.2

Nils Wagner nwagner at mecha.uni-stuttgart.de
Tue Feb 28 02:34:09 CST 2006

Hi all,

Where can I find some hints w.r.t. to ATLAS and
scipy/numpy ?
AFAIK the new website has no information on building

Do I need version 3 of gcc ?

I am on SuSE Linux 10.0 with gcc v4.0.2

If I try to install ATLAS I get ..

Looking for compilers (this may take a while):
    /usr/bin/gcc  : v4.0.2
    /usr/bin/gcc  : v4.0.2
F77 = /usr/bin/g77 -fomit-frame-pointer -O -m64
CC = /usr/bin/gcc -fomit-frame-pointer -O -mfpmath=387
MCC = /usr/bin/gcc -fomit-frame-pointer -O -mfpmath=387

ATLAS has detected that you are running on an x86
(eg., Athlon, P4, PIII, etc), but do not have a pre-2.96
gcc installed.
Using gcc 3/2.96 will result in a performance loss of
over a gcc previous to 2.96.  If your install goes
slightly wrong, performance
drops of 50% are more normal with these compilers.  Full
details of this
problem can be found at:
In the meantime, we suggest you abondon this ATLAS
install, and install a gcc
that delivers decent x86 performance, and restart the
install then.  You
do not need to be root to install, and full instructions,
along with all
needed files, are given in the ATLAS errata file at:

    Stop ATLAS install? [y]:

How can I continue ?