[SciPy-user] building scipy

Nicholas Kottenstette nkottens at nd.edu
Wed Jan 25 09:53:39 CST 2006

Hey guys,

I'm still a bit confused as to whether I need to install Numeric or not.

Following the building scipy routines for unix
I went and built scipy which did not generate any of the linear algebra
routines.  ie. unable to import LinearAlgebra

So looking at the Downloads documentation, I saw that Numeric should be
installed.  Looking at the old Numeric documentation this would
definetly give me the linear algebra interface, which I did and it works.

Is this a correct conclusion:
1. In order to use scipy and utilize linear algebra features such as the
ability to calculate a matrix inverse and perform a matrixmultiply I
need to:
a) first build and install Numeric, I used version 24.2 from
b) then build and install scipy as described in

Looking at Travis's documentation on NumPy p. 14 and p. 15 leaves me
even further confused.  This tends to imply that I should build and
install numpy instead of Numeric in order to get the linalg package.
But is NumPy already part of scipy?

Nicholas Kottenstette