[SciPy-user] scipy itpython and debian

Robert Kern robert.kern at gmail.com
Mon Jun 26 03:43:43 CDT 2006

Samuel GARCIA wrote:
> Sorry if it is not the good place,
> I have a debian testing (etch) , I use the python-matplotlib and
> python-ipythonn official debian package.
> For numpy and scipy I build them from SVN. Everythings seems to works. I
> don't install the old scipy debian package.
> My problem is when I upgrade with apt-get updgrade. I have something
> like that :
> Paramétrage de debconf (1.5.2) ...
> Compiling
> /usr/lib/python2.3/site-packages/scipy/maxentropy/examples/conditionalexample2.py
>   File
> "/usr/lib/python2.3/site-packages/scipy/maxentropy/examples/conditionalexample2.py",
> line 53
>     samplespace_index = dict((x, i) for i, x in enumerate(samplespace))
>                                       ^
> SyntaxError: invalid syntax

This is Python 2.4 syntax that should not be there, even in examples. We are
trying to maintain 2.3 compatibility. Sorry, Ed.  :-)

> For the moment the solution is to remove scipy and numpy and rebuild
> them after.
> 2 questions :
> - is there an easier way to upgrade without interaction with scipy ?

Don't put non-Debian files in Debian-managed directories like /usr/lib/. Use
/usr/local/. You can make distutils install to
/usr/local/lib/python/2.3/site-packages/ by adding the following lines to

I think some recent versions of Debian have this set by default.

> - is there an unofficial debian repository for scipy and numpy while
> waiting for the official new scipy debian package ?

Not that I know of. Andrew Straw has an Ubuntu repository with new packages.
It's possible that the source packages might work for Debian with minimal

Robert Kern

  an underlying truth."
   -- Umberto Eco