[SciPy-user] f2py and xmingw

Flavio Coelho fccoelho at gmail.com
Thu Sep 7 20:35:13 CDT 2006

I am trying to compile a Fortran extension module for windows using Scipy.

I want to know if it is possible to do this with xmingw (from my Gentoo
Linux Box)

Under Linux I can automate the generation of binary packages with
setup.pybdist (and a properly written

what is the recomended way to generate binary packages(with fortran
extensions) for windows?

I have tried to run f2y specifying the crosscompilers from xmingw but it

command line:

f2py -c --compiler=/opt/xmingw/bin/i386-mingw32msvc-gcc
--f77exec=opt/xmingw/bin/i386-mingw32msvc-g77 -m flib flib.f

error: don't know how to compile C/C++ code on platform 'posix' with
'/opt/xmingw/bin/i386-mingw32msvc-gcc' compiler
It looks like I may be missing some compiler flags... Since my experience
with compiled languages is somewhat limited, I will  gladly accept any

Flávio Codeço Coelho
registered Linux user # 386432
"Laws are like sausages. It's better not to see them being made."
Otto von Bismark