[SciPy-user] Q: Building SciPy for Windows without Cygwin dependency?

Kyle Ferrio coatimundi at cox.net
Sat Sep 30 17:33:41 CDT 2006

I want to build a full-up SciPy for MS Windows in line with the Python
and SciPy licenses.

I noticed the following text in the excellent installation instructions,
regarding the choice of compiler:

   "Cygwin is required if you want to build ATLAS yourself."

Well, I often build ATLAS myself.  And now (implicitly) I want to build
ATLAS in a way that is available to SciPy.

So I have two questions:

1. Must ATLAS -- to be used with SciPy -- be built with a dependence on
the GPL'ed Cygwin runtime library?
   (I can't imagine why this would be the case, but I want to test my

2. Is the "need" for Cygwin actually just a way to get (extremely
convenient) tools like 'ar' which do not infect the ATLAS lib with the GPL?