[SciPy-user] best way of finding a function

Stef Mientki s.mientki@ru...
Fri Apr 27 12:08:46 CDT 2007

Robert Kern wrote:
> Trevis Crane wrote:
>> Hi,
>> One thing that makes it hard to get into using SciPy and Python is the
>> decentralized nature of the documentation.  My problem is that I want to
>> use the arc-hyperbolic sine function.  I have no idea where this is in
>> order to import it (and in all likelihood I could import it from any
>> number of sources).  I can’t seem to find it looking through the
>> documentation on scipy.org.  This is a specific example, but in general
>> what’s the best way of finding where some given function is in order to
>> import it?
Very good question, I often had the feeling to ask that question, but I
didn't dare  ;-)
> Well, it is numpy.arcsinh(). Googling for "numpy arcsinh" brings up numerous
> hits including this:
>   http://www.scipy.org/Numpy_Example_List
> The problem is that you had to know it was called "arcsinh" rather than
> searching for it in a (nonunique) expanded form "arc-hyperbolic sine."
That is one of the problems,
the other problem is to know that you have to refer to "numpy" !!

I understand that it's very difficult to get a homogeneous help
on the other hand, it shouldn't be too difficult to generate some kind
of database,
where all functions from all packages in the Python directory are gathered.
So I really wonder if some one hasn't done that yet.

Stef Mientki