[SciPy-user] General Python Question: nested function calls

Wed Aug 1 15:22:32 CDT 2007

On Wed, Aug 01, 2007 at 02:56:59PM -0500, Ryan Krauss wrote:
> That would have been a better solution in this case - I have done that
> before and don't know why I didn't here.

> Any thoughts on the same situation with calling a parent class's
> method.  I just wrote code that did this:
> def __init__(self, pathin=None, dialect=spreadsheet.tabdelim):
>         spreadsheet.SpreadSheet.__init__(self, pathin=pathin,
> skiprows=0, collabels=collabels, colmap=colmap, datafunc=float,
> picklekeys=['t','lg','a','v0'])

> Basically, I do a few other things and then call the parent's __init__
> somewhere in the middle.

I had a similar problem recently and resolved it using a complex
machinery (my requirements where a bit more complex than only this). I
used traits, but you could do this without traits (though it would be

The thread concerning this problem and its solution can be found at

This is heavy machinery, but there are some ideas to steal.