[SciPy-user] MayaVi 2 instalation

Pye Fie fie.pye@atlas...
Thu Dec 20 12:12:46 CST 2007

I have got :
PC: 2x Dual-core Opteron 275
OS: CentOS 5.0, kernel 2.6.18-8.1.15.el5

I would like to prepare a computational environment based on Python and Python modules. I have already compiled and installed Python2.5.1 and modules such as Ipython, SciPy, NumPy, tables, mpi4py, matplotlib, wxpython and  so on, libraries such as BLAS, LAPACK, ATLAS, HDF5, MPICH, VTK.  Now I would like to continue with compilation and installation of MayaVi 2.

According to instructions in
I should install:
MayaVi 2

As I  understand the instructions in Setuptools README, Setuptools will install a new Python and new modules. But I don't need a new Python installation. I have one in /usr/local/python/python2.5.1 directory.

I studied SciPy ML discussion
and downloaded files from
with intention that it helps. Unfortunately it also requires Setuptools.

1. Is there a solution to my problem?
2. Am I wrong in understanding installation instruction?

Could anybody help me?
Best regards.
fie pie