[SciPy-user] Mathematica Element-wise Multiplication

Fri Dec 21 00:56:13 CST 2007

> I can't think of a situation where code would need to be generic
> enough to need to acceptably call what's basically a no-op on a 1D
> array. But you might be right. Still, I think it should be
> discouraged somehow, for the benefit of new users; perhaps a warn()?

This remains the same : why do you want to change something that is correct
to something that is not ? Why do you want to put a warning when people want
to do generic code ?
I do a lot of generic code, and the fact that .T does nothing for a 1D array
and does not put a warning is the behaviour I expect from Numpy. The
behaviour in Matlab is not the correct one, I can't count the number of
times I had to explain to a student why what he does does not give the
expected result.
Python is about to make things simple and clear, let's jus do not the
opposite in Numpy.

French PhD student