[SciPy-user] scipy.optimise.lbfgsb /bounded optimization help

Robert Kern robert.kern at gmail.com
Sat Jan 27 15:38:42 CST 2007

mclaugb wrote:
> I have been using a Gauss-Newton algorithm but it is unconstrained and i
> need a bounded, multivariate algorithm.
> Does anyone have any example code that uses the "lbfgsb" optimization
> algorithm?  I have a function of two variables that is bounded to the
> positive half-space and would like to use lbfgsb to minimize two variables.
> i have tried to get it working for a 2 variable function case but have been
> unsuccessful.  any example code would help me.

You mean that your function f maps

  RR^2 ---> RR^2

Note that all of the minimizers in scipy (and even mpfit that you mention below)
only minimize functions that map to scalars; i.e.

  RR^n ---> RR

These are not multiobjective optimizers.

Please clarify what you mean. Can you show us the code that you already tried?

Robert Kern

 an underlying truth."
  -- Umberto Eco