[SciPy-user] scipy binary on pythonmac.org appears broken

Andrew Straw strawman at astraw.com
Mon Jan 29 17:05:57 CST 2007

This is just a heads up that the scipy binary on pythonmac.org appears
to be broken, or at least incompatible with the version of numpy on the
same website.

I downloaded
(referenced from the package listing page at
http://pythonmac.org/packages/py24-fat/ . I am running the Python 2.4
listed on that page.)

The command
python -c "import scipy; scipy.test(10,10)"
runs fine, although only 397 tests are run, which seems rather few.

However, the following command gives an error.

$ python -c "import scipy.io"
RuntimeError: module compiled against version 1000002 of C-API but this
version of numpy is 1000009
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<string>", line 1, in ?
line 8, in ?
    from numpyio import packbits, unpackbits, bswap, fread, fwrite, \
ImportError: numpy.core.multiarray failed to import

I am using the numpy also listed on that page:

As far as I know, this is a clean install.

This is my first go with Mac OS X in a long time, so I could easily be
doing something stupid...

I will probably endeavor to build from sources before too long, but I
thought someone should know that package appears broken.