[SciPy-user] [OT] advice about publishing a scientific software

Robert Kern robert.kern@gmail....
Mon Jul 16 16:03:55 CDT 2007

Alan G Isaac wrote:
>> Robert Kern ha scritto:
>>> I would think that the only time that would matter is on
>>> submission of your paper, not before.
> On Mon, 16 Jul 2007, massimo sandal apparently wrote:
>> That's exactly what I feared.
> I think Robert was suggesting that early release is a good
> way to quickly get to the code quality you need for a
> useful pulbication, not that it would count against you
> at the time of publication.

Indeed. To rephrase a little bit more clearly: "I would think that only the
quality of the code at the time of submission of your paper would be important."
I don't think reviewers will be going back through your SVN logs. Sharing code
before publication is expected, I think. As Chris Lee suggests, though, you have
to be very careful about keeping track of contributions, more so than with other
open source projects.

Robert Kern

 an underlying truth."
  -- Umberto Eco