[SciPy-user] download and install python with all modules

Stephen McInerney spmcinerney@hotmail....
Tue Jul 24 14:02:40 CDT 2007

a) A very good zero-hassle batteries-included Python distribution for
with scientific and visualization libraries is Enthought Python:
Current release is Python 2.4.3 ; (Python 2.5.x is behind but supposedly due
"this August").
Enthought Python 2.4.3 has NumPy + SciPy + IPython
0.7.2 + Matplotlib + wx +much more ...
Typically Enthought bundles lag Python releases by ~1 yr.
You might contact enthought-dev@mail.enthought.com yourselves to ask for
2.5.x :)

b) Compiling 15+ individual packages on Windows and reconciling multiple
version conflicts
is a huge pain and a barrier to adoption, in particular if we need the retro
Visual Express C++ for 2003. It's just not going to fly.

To add a question I have always wanted to know, are there any firm plans to
NumPy + SciPy into Python? It really needs an arbitrary-precision numercial
type (no, 'Decimal' is not good enough, too slow and basic methods like pow
and math.* don't work on it )