[SciPy-user] surface plotting

James Phillips zunzun@zunzun....
Sun Nov 4 15:44:24 CST 2007

I use VTK to make VRML, which you can then rotate around
and view using a VRML viewer.  If you use Debian or Ubuntu,
a quick "sudo apt-get install python-vtk" will install Python
bindings and all dependencies.

Here's a quick synopsis from IBM that's fairly recent, they
discuss MayaVi which also does what you're looking for - and
for debian/ubuntu, "sudo apt-get install mayavi":

Since MayaVi uses VTK, the examples use many of the VTK