[SciPy-user] organizing data

Robert Kern robert.kern@gmail....
Wed Nov 21 12:37:01 CST 2007

Gael Varoquaux wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 21, 2007 at 08:45:22AM +0100, Gael Varoquaux wrote:
>> If I understand properly, you have non-regular gridded data that you want
>> to interpolate on a regular grid (though only through a cut) to plot as
>> images. If I get it right, that does not sound an incredibly easy
>> problem. There are algorithmes to do this, but I don't think there are
>> wrapped in scipy. VTK but do this, but AFAIK, only in 3D.
> I am stupid. Of course there are things in scipy !
> First you can look at a Delaunay natural neighbor interpolation
> (http://www.scipy.org/Cookbook/Matplotlib/Gridding_irregularly_spaced_data).
> Unfortunately I think the algorithm in Scipy can only do this for 2D
> data. Robert Kern will chime in, when he wakes up.

You are correct.

> To everybody, is it possible to change the sandbox so that when scipy is
> built, all the packages in the sandbox are built, but the build doesn't
> complain if it fails for these (or you need a special switch to have it
> complain). There are some really nice packages in the sandbox, but most
> people cannot build them because they don't know how to build. IMHO it is
> better to have the binary packages of scipy shipping with the fraction of
> the sandbox that builds, and might not even pass tests, than to have
> these packages simply not available for users who cannot build.

Jarrod and I came to the conclusion that the sandbox packages will be moved out
of the sandbox. Packages that just need a home could go to scikits instead.
Packages intended for scipy itself can live under branches/ temporarily as a
standalone package until they are approved for inclusion. Maintainers who want
to build binaries of them can do so.

Robert Kern

 an underlying truth."
  -- Umberto Eco