[SciPy-user] fromimage returns instance instead of numpy array

Zachary Pincus zpincus@stanford....
Wed Oct 10 14:19:48 CDT 2007

> On Tue, 9 Oct 2007, Zachary Pincus apparently wrote:
>> My current solution is a fork of PIL that I made, which
>> rips out basically everything except image IO, and for
>> which I fixed the 16- bit image problems and drastically
>> beefed up the numpy compatibility.  I'd be happy to send
>> this to anyone who desires, or if there was a specific
>> clamor, make it a scikit or something. Is there any
>> interest regarding that either?
> Is Pythonware not interested in the fixes?

As far as I can tell there was no interest in any of the patches that
I put forward (either for simple or larger issues). Stefan seems to
have had a similar experience.

> IMO, making this available as a SciKit is desirable
> only if the better solution, a fixed PIL, is not
> feasible.

I agree entirely.

The PIL folks said that for PIL 2.0 (is this even real, or is it
mythical, I do not know) they were re-working the memory model, which
should ameliorate some of the 16-bit image problems, and will
probably comply better with the new buffer interface. But I have no
idea when that might actually be happening, and it sounds like the
developers aren't interested in addressing the issues in the mean time.