[SciPy-user] lapack unresolved symbol question

Robert Kern robert.kern@gmail....
Tue Oct 16 17:23:25 CDT 2007

Karl Young wrote:
> Thanks again Robert; I "solved" the problem inspired by your suggestion
> but maybe you or someone else has a suggestion for something more
> sensible or elegant. The problem seems to be that there's a
> liblapack.so.3 in /usr/lib (presumably not built against an
> ATLAS-accelerated LAPACK) that gets picked up if I have /usr/lib in
> LD_LIBRARY_PATH . I had forgotten that I'd had this problem before and
> as a temporary solution had just taken /usr/lib out of LD_LIBRARY_PATH;
> /usr/lib got put back in as a result of installing of something else
> (hence the recurrence). Obviously removing /usr/lib from LD_LIBRARY_PATH
> isn't a great "solution" so pardon my ignorance but is there a python
> environment variable can I set to get python to look in /usr/lib/atlas
> before /usr/lib (PYTHONPATH doesn't seem to work for this) ? Thanks,

Its presence in LD_LIBRARY_PATH is probably unnecessary, but it was probably
masking later entries in LD_LIBRARY_PATH or in /etc/ld.so.conf. Ubuntu's ld.so,
for example, always checks it, whether it is specified in LD_LIBRARY_PATH or
/etc/ls.do.conf, but only if the desired library was not found in the
LD_LIBRARY_PATH or /etc/ld.so.conf paths. Look in the ld.so(8) man page for more
information about how this works on your system.

Robert Kern

 an underlying truth."
  -- Umberto Eco