[SciPy-user] Python(x,y) - New release 1.1.0

Alan G Isaac aisaac@american....
Thu Apr 17 09:12:54 CDT 2008

On Thu, 17 Apr 2008, (EEST) Pearu Peterson apparently wrote:
> I think everyone has the right to choose whatever license s/he will
> use for its software and not feel bad about it. PERIOD.
> I think it is great that such software are released as
> open source at all.

I strongly agree.

But it is the case that many people pick licenses that are
not well suited to their goals.  It can be useful to ask
them if they have considered the implication of a particular

It is also the case that picking a license that is not
obviously liberal (MIT or BSD) or well-known copyleft
(LGPL, GPL) can be a bad idea for a new open source project
that is trying to attract a user base.  The discussion in
this thread illustrates why.

Alan Isaac