[SciPy-user] The IO library and image file formats -- compare with with PIL

Robert Kern robert.kern@gmail....
Fri Apr 18 03:54:19 CDT 2008

On Fri, Apr 18, 2008 at 3:36 AM, Sebastian Haase <haase@msg.ucsf.edu> wrote:
> Hi,
>  Could someone here please summarize the plans for the io library !?
>  I saw that there are parts of it going into numpy already.
>  And more stuff is already in SciPy -- IIRC.
>  What is the status / plans regrading image formats like TIFF.

There are no such plans.

>  Are you guys planning to duplicate the efforts of the Python Imaging
>  Library ( PIL ) ?

>  Or can you just copy-paste some of the code ?

We don't intend to, no.

>  The reason I'm asking now, is that I just submitted a patch to PIL
>  that adds writing capabilities for MultiPage TIFF files.
>  I did not get any response on the PIL list,
>  and I'm actually still not clear on their handling of   free vs. commercial.
>  The commercial PIL license sounds like you have to pay $2000 to get
>  access to svn, i.e.  the current development version of PIL.
>  Anyone here who could comment on this ?

I doubt it. Fredrik Lundh is the person you have to ask about such
things. You might try emailing him personally.

Robert Kern

though it had an underlying truth."
 -- Umberto Eco