[SciPy-user] Bayes net question

Karl Young Karl.Young@ucsf....
Mon Jan 14 17:53:12 CST 2008

>On Jan 14, 2008 2:45 PM, Karl Young <Karl.Young@ucsf.edu> wrote:
>>I'm starting to play with Bayes nets in a way that will require a little
>>more than just using some of the black box packages around (e.g. I'd
>>like to play around with using various regression models at the nodes)
>>and would love to do my exploring in the context of SciPy but I didn't
>>see any such packages currently available. I did find a python package
>>called OpenBayes (http://www.openbayes.org/) that after a very cursory
>>examination looked pretty nice but apparently is no longer being
>>developed. Does anyone know if there has ever been any discussion with
>>the author of that package re. incorporating it into SciPy ?
>I am somewhat familiar with the project.  Although after taking a
>quick look at it just now, it appears to have a little different
>history than I remember.  I thought Elliot Cohen was the original
>author, but I guess his project must have been incorporated into to
>this project.  Elliot developed a Python Bayesian Network Toolbox as
>part of the first Summer of Code in 1995:  http://pbnt.berlios.de/
>James Tauber was his mentor.  Elliot was a student at Berkeley and was
>actually Matthew Brett's research assistant, so Matthew and I know him
>pretty well.  Elliot works for Microsoft now and is also heavily
>involved in a personal side-project, so I don't think he has much free
>If you think this is worth turning into a scikit, Matthew and I would
>be happy to talk to him about whether he would be interested.  If we
>can get his interest, I am sure that he would talk to the other
>If anyone else is interested in seeing this happen, please respond.
 From the little I've seen of the package it looks to me like it would
be worth turing into a scikit and I would be willing to contribute some
time to such an effort. But it would be nice to get input from any Bayes
net experts and/or anyone who has used this package re. what they think
of the code and the approach taken.

Karl Young
Center for Imaging of Neurodegenerative Diseases, UCSF
VA Medical Center (114M)              Phone:  (415) 221-4810 x3114  lab
4150 Clement Street                   FAX:    (415) 668-2864
San Francisco, CA 94121               Email:  karl young at ucsf edu