[SciPy-user] scipy-0.6 on AIX 5.3

Marek Wojciechowski mwojc@p.lodz...
Mon Jul 7 08:06:46 CDT 2008

David Cournapeau wrote:

> Marek Wojciechowski wrote:
>> Hi!
>> I tried to install scipy in AIX 5.3 and i'm partially successful. For now
>> i see no way to compile and use C++ code from scipy, so sparse and weave
>> modules are not working. I used native IBM compilers: xlf_r, cc_r,
>> xlc++_r. I compiled also properly blas and lapack for use with scipy.
>> I applied two dirty hacks in numpy.distutils.ccompiler (1.0.4) and some
>> hacks in scipy itself. I'm attaching diffs because probably some changes
>> could be applied to the development code...
> C++-style comments in C are bugs (I am guilty of most of them), but
> should have been solved in the SVN trunk. Concerning the fortran code,
> it seems that the AIX fortran compiler does not like special characters
> in comments nor code lines starting with &...
> I would consider using the Gnu compiler instead of AIX fortran compiler,

IBM Fortran compiler (xlf) worked very well for me. The only compilation
problem is with two functions in specfun.f, namely: CLQN and CLQMN.
However, this is because of the aggressive -O5 optimization flag (which is
set up by default on AIX in numpy.distutils). With -O3 whole code compiles

BTW. i'm not sure if there is a way to get working g77 or gfortran on AIX.

Marek Wojciechowski