[SciPy-user] Frequency content of a transient signal

Tue Jul 22 02:59:13 CDT 2008

2008/7/22 Nils Wagner <nwagner@iam.uni-stuttgart.de>:
> On Tue, 22 Jul 2008 09:15:11 +0200
>  "Matthieu Brucher" <matthieu.brucher@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi !
>> I think you can use a sliding DFT on your signal. This way, you will
>> get a moving estimation of the spectral information (it's a basic
>> time-frequency transform, before you use wavelets ;)).
>> Matthieu
>  Matthieu,
> I am not very familiar with signal processing. Please can
> you provide a short example ?
> I have attached the data file. The first column corresponds
> with the time, the second column represents the signal.
>  Thanks in advance
>                      Nils

A wikipedia article states it better than me, so here is a link :
Feel free to ask any question ;)

In fact, what you will do is :

my_ffts = []
fo i in range(n):

with size the size of the sliding window you will use. This will give
you non overlapping FFTs, but you can use overlapping FFT, such as :

French PhD student