[SciPy-user] Mlab doesn't work

Alexander Borghgraef alexander.borghgraef.rma@gmail....
Fri Jun 13 08:27:46 CDT 2008

On Fri, Jun 13, 2008 at 2:51 PM, Gael Varoquaux
<gael.varoquaux@normalesup.org> wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 13, 2008 at 02:34:00PM +0200, Alexander Borghgraef wrote:
>> > Can you tell us how you run your script ?
>> Saved it to mlabtest.py, then ran
> As it is indicated on the top of the page you are looking at, you should
> run this in "ipython -wthread", for instance using "%run mlabtest.py".

 Ok. That works, thanks.

> Just a question, why are you using TVTK's mlab. Mayavi's mlab (developped
> by the same people) is more maintained, eventhought it has a bit more
> dependancies.

 Well, because it says tvtk in the example on scipy's cookbook page. I
tend to use matplotlib for data visualization, but since 3D
visualization was hideously sluggish the last time I tried it, I
decided to give mayavi a spin. Download it , build it, try to run the
example code, harass the mailing list... you all know the drill, I
guess. :-) Standard OSS user behaviour.

> You can have a look at
> https://svn.enthought.com/enthought/attachment/wiki/MayaVi/user_guide.pdf?format=raw
> on section 6 (page 22). One remark, if you are using an oldish version of
> mayavi, you need to import mlab from enthought.mayavi.tools", rather than
> "enthought.mayavi".

RTFM, IOW :-D Will do. I just wanted a quick 3D plot of my data,
nothing fancy or interactive, so I skipped the manual and went for the

Oh, and about the subject: no offense intended (and none taken
apparently, thanks Gaël). I just lacked inspiration for the topic
title (and I didn't have much info to share in it) so I kept it
simple. Furthermore, I truly appreciate the work done by the mayavi
people, as well as the scipy people and all open source developers for
that matter. Couldn't do my work without them.

Alex Borghgraef