[SciPy-user] minpack.error / fsolve problem

Webb Sprague webb.sprague@gmail....
Sat Mar 1 11:52:22 CST 2008

Thanks for the response, dmitrey!

On Sat, Mar 1, 2008 at 12:17 AM, dmitrey <dmitrey.kroshko@scipy.org> wrote:
> As for me it yields "name LcUtil is not defined" (line 48). Also, there
>  was some indent problems near try-except block, mb due to space-tab
>  different numbers from the attached file.

Sorry but there is a lot of infrastructure you don't have, so it won't
run as is.  Plus it was cut and paste, etc.  But it works 98% of the
time in its context.

>  I would recommend you try using another solver, for example nssolve from
>  scikits.openopt.

Sounds reasonable, but why that one?

>  Do you know exactly what do you need? Solve a system of non-linear
>  equations via fsolve or to minimize a function?
>  D.

I need to fit a scalar (kt in the code) such  that f(kt) = e_0 (a
scalar which is given from somewhere else).  f() involves a bunch of
stuff (see the code, but don't bother trying to run it), but it is
monotonic.

I think of this as finding kt such that f(kt) - e_0 = 0, so I used a
root solver.  But I hardly care so long as it works

Is there a best function for this?

I am totally unfamiliar with optimization theory, besides one
assignment on Newton's method in first semester calculus, and some
handwaving about MLE's