[SciPy-user] C compilers and Python wrappers

Fri Mar 7 22:41:08 CST 2008

Alan G Isaac wrote:

> How will this change? (Aside from changing to VS 2008,
> I mean.)  Can you point to a discussion?

That's the change: you will be able to use the compiler used for
official binaries for free.

For python 3k (or later), there may be a bigger change: since posix
functions are hopelessly broken in VS runtime  (which is at least one of
the reasons why you cannot safely change compilers on windows), it is
being rewritten with the win32 api, which is guaranteed to be ABI
compatible across compilers by Microsoft, I guess. But this will take
time, and is certainly no fun.

http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-3000/2008-February/012201.html

cheers,

David