[SciPy-user] [SciPy-dev] failures=15, errors=7, scipy svn r4244 on OS X Leopard 10.5.2

Nathan Bell wnbell@gmail....
Thu May 8 13:26:36 CDT 2008

On Thu, May 8, 2008 at 12:56 PM, Alan G Isaac <aisaac@american.edu> wrote:
> But A[1,:] still returns a matrix.

I understand.  However there are no rank 1 implementations of the
matrices in scipy.sparse, so it was more natural for A[1] to return a
2d matrix.  Furthermore, we now have the odd situation where indexing
a matrix now returns a different type.

We traded one sub-optimal behavior for another and broke existing code
in the process.

Oh, and iterating over the rows of a matrix works differently now, e.g.

from numpy import *
A = asmatrix(arange(9).reshape(3,3))
for row in A:
    print row.shape

row.shape is now (3,) rather than (1,3)

Oh, and these non-backwards compatible changes were made on a minor
version release.

Nathan Bell wnbell@gmail.com