[SciPy-user] having problems with fortran compiler on Mac OS X 10.5.2

Robert Kern robert.kern@gmail....
Thu Sep 18 14:18:44 CDT 2008

On Thu, Sep 18, 2008 at 11:53, Kiana Toufighi <kianatoufighi@hotmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all.
> I am trying to install SciPy on my PowerMac with OS X 10.5.2 (Leopard) by
> following the instructions here
> http://www.scipy.org/Installing_SciPy/Mac_OS_X and I'm getting errors with
> respect to the fortran compiler.
> I  have personally installed the newest version of the fortran compiler v.
> 4.2.3 and I obviously have a C compiler.
> gcc --version:
> i686-apple-darwin9-gcc-4.0.1 (GCC) 4.0.1 (Apple Inc. build 5465)
> gfortran --version:
> GNU Fortran (GCC) 4.2.3
> Now I've tried building scipy by the following commands and here are the
> errors I get.
> python setup.py build
> Couldn't match compiler version for 'GNU Fortran (GCC) 4.2.3\nCopyright (C)
> 2007 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
> python setup.py config_fc --fcompiler=gfortran build
> error: don't know how to compile Fortran code on platform 'posix' with
> 'gfortran' compiler. Supported compilers are:
> compaq,none,absoft,intel,f,gnu,sun,nag,vast,ibm,gnu95,intelv,g95,intele,pg,lahey,compaqv,mips,hpux,intelev,intelem)
> So then I try one of these listend supported compilers like gnu95 but it's
> not installed!!
> I wish Apple would just include a fortran compiler with their dev tools!

--fcompiler=gnu95 actually refers to gfortran. Can you show us the
output you get when you try to use that?

Robert Kern

though it had an underlying truth."
 -- Umberto Eco