[SciPy-user] scipy workflow

Stef Mientki s.mientki@ru...
Mon Sep 29 16:09:21 CDT 2008

João Quinta da Fonseca wrote:
> I have given up Matlab and I it feels great to use scipy for my
> scientific computing needs. However, I find that I use scipy just like
> I used matlab, with ipython as my terminal. Although this works OK,
> some things are a little frustrating: updated modules need to be
> reimported after modification, running scripts requires the run
> command etc., but this is to be expected because scipy is not matlbab.
> Now I don't want the matlab way necessarily and I am happy to learn a
> new way to do things. I guess what I would like to do is do things the
> python way, which I think means writing my code as classes with the
> _main_ bit at the end etc., but I am not sure whether that is the best
> way and if so, what is the best way to learn it.
> Does any one feel like sharing what their workflow with scipy is? Any
> tips for me?
For now I use Signal WorkBench as a MatLab replacement,
it misses the interactive single line statement and MatLab's workspace.
Changed modules are always automatically reloaded.

And here is concrete example of filter design, compared to how we did it
in MatLab

As part of the project I'm now improving the editor / debugger,
which will both solve above mentioned omissions.
As soon as this works well, it's almost also implemented in Signal