[SciPy-user] scipy.interpolate.Rbf() MemoryError for more than 4000 (x, y) pairs ?

Pauli Virtanen pav@iki...
Fri Apr 3 11:39:48 CDT 2009

Fri, 03 Apr 2009 12:22:26 -0400, josef.pktd kirjoitti:
> Besides the memory error, I don't think rbf can do this, rbf uses all
> points to do the interpolation, the kernel is number of observation
> squared. In some examples, that I tried, if the number of points is to
> large, then you don't get a smooth solution, the interpolation has too
> much variation (like fitting a very high order polynomial).

Btw, the different Rbf functions (thin-plate, linear, etc.) seem to
behave slightly differently in how stably they can fit many points. I'd
imagine why this happens is answered somewhere in the literature...

Pauli Virtanen