[SciPy-user] conjugate gradients solver - operator adjoint

Pauli Virtanen pav@iki...
Wed Apr 22 03:33:09 CDT 2009

Wed, 22 Apr 2009 10:00:07 +0200, Lubos Vrbka kirjoitti:
> would be glad to know your opinion on this problem... will check also
> the other options. i think the problem is, that in order for the
> algorithm to work (it's newton-raphson + conjugate gradients), it's
> necessary to have the exact adjoint in the solution...

Not knowing more about the particular problem (our univ. doesn't have a
subscription to that old JCP articles...), but I'd say Netwon-Raphson
should in general work with any iterative method. In fact, I'm presently
solving equations with > 1e5 unknowns with Newton + preconditioned GMRES,
and this at least worksforme.

However, it could be that the fluid dynamics equations have some property
that makes one iterative method favorable over others.

Pauli Virtanen