[SciPy-User] FAIL: __main__.test_loadtxt(array([('M', 21, 72.0), ('F', 35, 58.0)],

Fernando Perez Fernando.Perez@berkeley....
Sun Aug 16 14:43:05 CDT 2009

Hi Egill,

On Sun, Aug 16, 2009 at 12:13 PM, Egill Hauksson<ehauksson@gmail.com> wrote:
> Fernando,
>
> When I run the 2nd script I get one more error -- FAIL: Test basic Cython
> sanity --see below.

> FAIL: Test basic Cython sanity
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File
> "/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/4.3.0/lib/python2.5/site-packages/nose-0.10.3n1-py2.5.egg/nose/case.py",
> line 182, in runTest
>     self.test(*self.arg)
>   File "adv_2.py", line 183, in test_cython
>     validate_cython(None)
>   File "adv_2.py", line 82, in validate_cython
>     nt.assert_true(cython_version >= min_version, msg)
> AssertionError: Cython version (0, 9, 8, 1, 1) found, at least (0, 11, 2)
> required

OK, this one you do need to fix.  I'm attaching below the instructions
on how to fix this...  I'll be offline for a few hours, but let us
know if you have any problems, I should be back in the evening.

Cheers,

ar tutorial attendees,

here are some notes regarding the tutorial requirements.  I am sending this to
all of you, though some of it may only apply to those attending the advanced
track.

- If you had troubles with the testing scripts, please note that I've fixed a
  few small issues.  The current versions are (intro, advanced and
  pycuda-specific):

  https://cirl.berkeley.edu/fperez/tmp/intro_tut_checklist.py
  https://cirl.berkeley.edu/fperez/tmp/adv_tut_checklist.py
  https://cirl.berkeley.edu/fperez/tmp/pycuda_tut_checklist.py

- For those of you on OSX, you may need to install Apple's XCode to get a
  working compiler on your system.  XCode is free to download, but it's a very
  large download and you do need to register in their developer site to access
  the file.

- For those of you using the Enthought Python Distribution (EPD henceforth),
  and attending the advanced tutorial track, you may need to manually add
  updated versions of Cython and Sympy, as those included by default are a bit
  old to demo all the features the speakers want to cover.  Below are the
  instructions for this (if you are attending the introductory tutorials, the
  default EPD install is sufficient).

- If you have a laptop with a CUDA-capable GPU, and you install the necessary
  requirements, you'll be able to follow the interactive parts of the
  tutorial.  The tutorials page has links to all necessary prerequisites:

  http://conference.scipy.org/advanced_tutorials

 Instructions for an EPD-based setup for the advanced tutorials

The current version of EPD has most of what you need, except for updated SymPy
and Cython.

1. Install sympy 0.6.5, available at:

  - Source: http://sympy.googlecode.com/files/sympy-0.6.5.tar.gz
  - Windows installer: http://sympy.googlecode.com/files/sympy-0.6.5.win32.exe

2. Install Cython 0.11.2.  On OSX you can do a source build, for Windows, binary
  installers are available:

  - Source: http://cython.org/Cython-0.11.2.tar.gz
  - Windows installer:
https://cirl.berkeley.edu/fperez/tmp/Cython-0.11.2.win32-py2.5.exe

3. Then, edit the easy-install.pth file for EPD, located at:

  - Windows: c:/Python25/Lib/site-packages/easy-install.pth

  - OSX: /Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/4.3.0/lib/python2.5/site-packages/easy-install.pth

Comment out the lines that read:

./cython-0.9.8.1.1n1-py2.5-win32.egg
./sympy-0.6.2n2-py2.5.egg

By prepending a # mark at the beginning.

4. At this point, the advanced tutorials checklist script:

https://cirl.berkeley.edu/fperez/tmp/adv_tut_checklist.py

should run to completion without errors, let us know otherwise.