[SciPy-User] chebfun

Tue Dec 8 09:47:59 CST 2009

On Tue, Dec 8, 2009 at 8:05 AM, <josef.pktd@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Dec 8, 2009 at 9:42 AM, denis <denis-bz-py@t-online.de> wrote:
> > Nice links, Josef.
> > Chebfun looks very high quality; do you think there'd be a market
> > for a scipy wrapper ?
> Since it is written in matlab, it would be more a candidate for
> translation (and inspiration) than for wrapping. Chuck and Anne might
> provide similar functionality, but I don't know much about it and
> found the webpage especially useful for it's good documentation.
Trefethen is a Chebyshev fanatic, one of the enlightened. I heard him give a
talk at the invitation of a sinc fanatic -- they are related -- and he made
a good case for using functions sampled at the Chebyshev II points for quick
and dirty solutions to boundary value problems. IIRC, the methods didn't
preserve adjointness, which is a bit of a wart since the resulting
eigenfunctions aren't orthogonal, but it looked like good fun. He has some
books out, here is one: http://www.ec-securehost.com/SIAM/SE10.html . No
doubt some of these algorithms could find a place in scipy.

In any case, what Anne and I are looking at isn't as extensive as Chebfun,
Chebfun looks more like a lite replacement for parts of numpy and scipy,
call it chebpy, that combines special functions with zero finding,
differentiation, etc.

Being written by mathematicians specialized in this, it looks very