[SciPy-user] Why is SciPy better than Matlab or IDL? ;)

Hoyt Koepke hoytak@cs.ubc...
Tue Jul 7 10:29:30 CDT 2009

Hi Vincent,

> -          In what aspects does SciPy excel, compared to say IDL or matlab?
> -          In what ways allows it a scientist to be more effective?

A while ago, I wrote up a quick article on a few reasons that I think
python is great for research stuff.  It's a bit unpolished, but it
gives 10 points that I think are really advantageous.  It's at

Let me know if anyone has feedback or comments on it; it's a work in
progress at this point.

+ Hoyt Koepke
+ University of Washington Department of Statistics
+ http://www.stat.washington.edu/~hoytak/
+ hoytak@gmail.com