[SciPy-user] 2D/3D visualization

Matthias Hillenbrand mailanhilli@googlemail....
Mon Jul 13 10:38:49 CDT 2009

In the new future I want to build a small GUI for my optical raytracing
program written in python. For this purpose I intend to use wxpython,
perhaps in combination with ETS. I especially want to be able to create 2D
figures like this one:

and 3D figures like those:

Do you have any advice which software packages for 2D/3D visualization could
be most appropriate for my purpose? In the near future I also want to work
with NURBS, so it will be even better if the package supports rendering of

As this is my first programming project, I would prefer a high level
package, where I only have to define the surfaces and don't have to care
about how they are rendered. It would also be nice if I could zoom, pan, and
rotate the figures.

I have already looked at Matplotlib, Chaco, Mayavi, and PyOpenGL but don't
know about further, perhaps more appropriate, alternatives.

Thank you very much for your help!