[SciPy-user] storing numpy arrays

Michael Hearne mhearne@usgs....
Thu Mar 12 16:35:42 CDT 2009

I have a MySQL database, in which I would like to store a numpy array as
a BLOB.  I'm trying to find out the easiest/most efficient way to
store/extract this data.

I looked at scipy.io.write_array, which looked somewhat promising, until
I saw the notice that this method is deprecated in favor of numpy.savetxt.

I could potentially use scipy.io.savemat/loadmat, but that would require
writing to a binary (.mat file), then reading it back in again just to
stuff it into the database.

I could also use pickle, but I found a bug report somewhere that pickle
may do strange things to the array in the process or reading or writing.

Does anyone have any suggestions?