[SciPy-User] Image analysis: Counting masked areas

David Baddeley david_baddeley@yahoo.com...
Wed Oct 21 02:52:35 CDT 2009

scipy.ndimage.label (and also potentially ndimage.measurements) might be what you're looking for.

best wishes,

----- Original Message ----
From: Michael Aye <kmichael.aye@googlemail.com>
To: scipy-user@scipy.org
Sent: Wed, October 21, 2009 8:12:00 PM
Subject: [SciPy-User] Image analysis: Counting masked areas

Dear all,
is it possible to count the areas in an image, that have been masked
by some condition?
I need to count all areas in an image darker than a certain value.
Masking is no problem, but how do I count independent areas? I was
thinking just to look at the masked array, but then a pixel-by-pixel
check if the neighbour pixel is masked as well to find *independent*
masked areas sees numerically very costly.
Isn't there a better way?

Many thanks for any help!

Best regards,
SciPy-User mailing list