[SciPy-User] Fitting tools

Gökhan Sever gokhansever@gmail....
Mon Apr 12 14:54:15 CDT 2010

On Mon, Apr 12, 2010 at 12:34 PM, <josef.pktd@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Apr 12, 2010 at 1:14 PM, Gökhan Sever <gokhansever@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > Are there any compact curve/distribution fitting tools around similar to
> the
> > commercial TableCurve 2D [1] and EasyFit [2] products?
> >
> > [1] http://www.sigmaplot.com/products/tablecurve2d/tablecurve2d.php
> I think astrogui, or astropysics might have something like this,
> Travis showcased it briefly in the stats webinar. There is also an
> online curve fitting (zunzun ?) with (I think) BSD licensed source
> code that might be useful.
> > [2] http://www.mathwave.com/easyfit-distribution-fitting.html
> I looked at easyfit a year or more ago, and wrote a script that tried
> to do similar fitting for all distributions in scipy.stats. It worked
> ok for distributions with unlimited support, but there are still the
> problems with estimating distributions with a finite bound in the
> support.
> I used kstest as distance measure, but never rewrote Anderson-Darling
> to function as generic distance measure as (if I remember correctly)
> easyfit does.
> Josef

Thanks for the input Josef.

I have known astrogui from Travis' webinar as well. However I have never
been able to run it. Maybe Erik could make some comments to fix the problem:

# Using bzr branch lp:astropysics

Python 2.6.2 (r262:71600, Jan 25 2010, 18:46:45)
>>> from astropysics import gui
UserWarning: Could not match sans-serif, normal, normal.  Returning
  warnings.warn('Could not match %s, %s, %s.  Returning %s' % (name, style,
variant, self.defaultFont))
UserWarning: pyfits not found - all FITS-related IO will not work
  warn('pyfits not found - all FITS-related IO will not work')
UserWarning: vo.table not found - VOTable processing limited to
VOTableReader class
  warn('vo.table not found - VOTable processing limited to VOTableReader
UserWarning: SExtractor not found on system - phot.SExtractor class will not
  warn('SExtractor not found on system - phot.SExtractor class will not
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module>
line 28, in <module>
    from spectarget import spec_target
line 18, in <module>
    from ..phot import CMDAnalyzer
line 3463, in <module>
    Spectrum._rgbsensitivity = __generateRGBSensTuple()
line 3455, in __generateRGBSensTuple
    from .models import BlackbodyModel
line 73, in <module>
    from core import *
line 2247, in <module>
    class FunctionModel2DScalar(FunctionModel,InputCoordinateTransformer):
line 2253, in FunctionModel2DScalar
    from ..coords import cartesian_to_polar,polar_to_cartesian
line 2447, in <module>
    solsysobjs['sun'] = Sun()
line 2267, in __init__
line 1791, in __init__
    self.jd0 = EphemerisObject.jd2000 if jd0 is None else jd0
line 1799, in _setJd0
    from .obstools import calendar_to_jd
line 1580, in <module>
    sites['uciobs'] =
Site(33.63614044191056,-117.83079922199249,80,'PST','UC Irvine Observatory')
line 498, in __init__
    raise ValueError('unrecognized time zone string '+tz)
ValueError: unrecognized time zone string PST