[SciPy-User] Problems with 64-bit Scipy Stats

Christoph Gohlke cgohlke@uci....
Mon Dec 13 11:48:23 CST 2010

On 12/13/2010 9:17 AM, Nicholas Gunther wrote:
> On my Windows 7, 64-bit AMD machine:
> from scipy import stats produces:
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>    File "<pyshell#1>", line 1, in<module>
>      from scipy import stats
>    File "C:\Python26\lib\site-packages\scipy\stats\__init__.py", line 7, in<module>`
>      from stats import *
>    File "C:\Python26\lib\site-packages\scipy\stats\stats.py", line 202, in<module>
>      import scipy.special as special
>    File "C:\Python26\lib\site-packages\scipy\special\__init__.py", line 8, in<module>
>      from basic import *
>    File "C:\Python26\lib\site-packages\scipy\special\basic.py", line 6, in<module>
>      from _cephes import *
> ImportError: DLL load failed: The specified module could not be found.
> ~~~
> Since Scipy's covariance function works outside of the stats package, for single variable linear regression I can create a work-around, using cov(y,x)/var(x) for beta and the correlation coefficient squared for R squared.  This is not ideal, however.
> Any suggestion of other workarounds, or how to fix this?
> Thanks!

In case you are using Scipy binaries built with Visual C and the Intel
compiler suite, make sure to use a numpy build that uses the same
version of Intel's MKL and that the MKL and Intel runtime libraries are
found in the Windows DLL search path.