[SciPy-User] OT: calling Java from Python

Thu Dec 23 14:49:30 CST 2010

Hi folks,

This is a bit OT, but y'all tend to be a great resource for lots of
stuff, and this is python-for-science related:

Are there any active projects supporting calling Java from CPython?

It seems JPE and JPype are both pretty dead, and I don't see much else
except maybe Babel:

  -- thought that seems kind of like yet another language!)

My use case:

Lately Unidata has put a lot more emphasis on the JAVA implementation of
the netcdf libraries that the C one, so it has a lot of nifty features
not supported for C, and therefore for Python.

There is this project for calling the netcdf JAVA libs from MATLAB:

Which made me think that it would be nice to have something similar for
Python. With the Python C api and JNI (and maybe Cython), it should be
possible, but I sure don't want to start doing that from scratch.

gnu CNI looks promising, too.

There is a lot going on in the JAVA world, it would be nice to access
some of that.

Are any of you doing anything like this? Any thoughts? There

Christopher Barker, Ph.D.

Emergency Response Division
7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax