[SciPy-User] scipy.interpolate.rbf sensitive to input noise ?

Robert Kern robert.kern@gmail....
Tue Feb 23 11:46:59 CST 2010

On Tue, Feb 23, 2010 at 11:43, denis <denis-bz-gg@t-online.de> wrote:
> Robert, Josef,
>  thanks much for taking the time to look at RBF some more.
> Summary, correct me:
>    A - smooth*I in rbf.py is a sign error (ticket ?)

Not necessarily. It seems to work well in at least some cases. Find a
reference that says otherwise if you want it changed.

>    for gauss, start with A + 1e-6*I  to move eigenvalues away from 0
>    others have pos/neg eigenvalues, don't need smooth.

No. If you need a smoothed approximation to noisy data rather than
exact interpolation than you use the smooth keyword. Otherwise, you

Robert Kern

though it had an underlying truth."
  -- Umberto Eco