[SciPy-User] Suggest moving curve_fit from minpack to top level

josef.pktd@gmai... josef.pktd@gmai...
Wed Feb 24 08:48:31 CST 2010

On Wed, Feb 24, 2010 at 9:31 AM, Ralf Gommers
<ralf.gommers@googlemail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 24, 2010 at 10:18 PM, <josef.pktd@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Wed, Feb 24, 2010 at 9:07 AM, Pim Schellart <p.schellart@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>> > Curve fitting is one of the most important tasks in scientific
>> > analysis and most people starting with scipy struggle to find this
>> > (undocumented) function
>> curve_fit will hopefully sufficiently documented and included in the
>> docs when it is included in a release of scipy.
> Looks pretty well documented to me:
> http://docs.scipy.org/doc/scipy/reference/generated/scipy.optimize.curve_fit.html
> It may be helpful though if this function is pointed out in a tutorial (not
> sure if that's the case or not).

Thanks, my docs are too old and I didn't know it's already included in
the html. I checked and it is not mentioned in the optimize tutorial.

curve_fit doesn't really fit into scipy.optimize next to all the low
level optimizers.

Given the recent discussion, I think it would fit better in
scipy.interpolate which could be extended to interpolate and fitting
to noisy data, e.g. rbf, least squares splines.

Is it too late to move it?