[SciPy-User] EPD and fast FFT?

Joseph Anderson j.anderson@hull.ac...
Tue Mar 23 10:25:46 CDT 2010

Hello Dag,

> The latest EPD comes with Intel MKL; so that's likely what you want to
> use. It uses the FFTW 3 API, so any code you write would be usable with
> either MKL (costs money) or FFTW (GPL).

Ah... I forgot to mention I'm using a OSX on a G5 PPC. From my reading, MKL
isn't available for this.

> Personally I'd use Cython to start wrap the FFTW 3 API... at least if
> you know some C that shouldn't take long.
> Dag Sverre

Hmm... I'm a bit rough on my C...

I have some code written calling scipy.signal.signaltools.fftconvolve. With
small arrays, this is fine, but I have some larger RIRs (room impulse

I've figured that I can write an overlap-add routine to step through both my
input signal (doing this already) AND the kernel.

However, my feeling is that a nicely written convolution routine will 'play
nicely' and do that for me.

Was hoping that there was a simple way to do that, by just setting up FFTW
or something else to stand in for scipy.signal.signaltools.fftconvolve.

Dr Joseph Anderson
Lecturer in Music

School of Arts and New Media
University of Hull, Scarborough Campus,
Scarborough, North Yorkshire, YO11 3AZ, UK

T: +44.(0)1723.362392 T: +44.(0)1723.357370 F: +44.(0)1723.350815

To view the terms under which this email is distributed, please go to http://www.hull.ac.uk/legal/email_disclaimer.html