[SciPy-User] Advise for numerical programming content (New python user)

Fri Nov 19 00:43:06 CST 2010

On Fri, Nov 19, 2010 at 02:48:56AM +0000, Sachin Kumar Sharma wrote:
>    I am new to python and I am currently evaluating options and
>    functionalities of numerical programming and related 2d and  3d graphic
>    outputs with python.

2D data:

  * If you want to do publication-quality figures of scientific data,
    matplotlib is your best friend:
    Try it, get used to it, it's awesome.

  * If you want to do interactive visualization and exploration of your
    data, Chaco will be what you want. A bit of a learning curve but
    really great at playing with data.

3D data:

  * If you have simple data, both in terms of volume and in terms of how
    you want to represent it, matplotlib has a nice small set of 3D
    plotting features

  * If you have biggish data (anything real life), or if you want to slice
    the data interactively and explore it, Mayavi is your friend.
    As you seem to be in geophysics, I suspect that Mayavi will be your tool
    of choice for 3D.

My 2 cents,