[SciPy-User] scipy.KDTree.query ball tree

Peter Tittmann ptittmann@gmail....
Thu Oct 7 18:51:53 CDT 2010

I'm having some trouble understanding how this query_ball_tree method
works. The documentation says its parameters are:

other : KDTree
    The tree containing points to search against
r : positive float
    The maximum distance

This is immediately strange to me because it would seem that it needs
a focal point for the search. I understand that this is a search that
references an existing KDTree as opposed to the query_ball_tree. So i
go forth and pass it an existing KDTree:

In [53]: test=spatial.KDTree.query_ball_tree(lasKDTree, 10.)
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<ipython console>", line 1, in <module>
TypeError: query_ball_tree() takes at least 3 arguments (2 given)

It seems that the documentation is missing a parameter. I found an
obscure reference here:
that states the the tree should be the second argument. If someone
could help clarify what the first argument should be I'd be grateful.