[SciPy-User] Central File Exchange for SciPy

denis denis-bz-gg@t-online...
Sat Oct 30 12:32:56 CDT 2010

  that's quite a few good comments in various directions.
It looks to me as though we want a combination of two things:

- a database of numpy/scipy packages, searchable on tags, date ...
- a web front end for user comments on packages.

These exist to some extent, as concrete models:
for the database part,
looks reasonable, but is for code.google packages only.
For commenting, I like the stackoverflow (== Solace ?) realtime html
There must be other rating/commenting systems as partial models ?

On rating: book ratings mostly 5-star are worthless
unless the reviewer can articulate why.
So I'd leave number ratings out;
people can say "no doc" or "excellent doc" etc. in the text.

On Pypi: imho way too big and old, improvements take years.
Scipy is plenty -- start small.

So what's next, towards a version 0 of "Scipy Review":

- find an expert who's built a db + web interface or two --
    perhaps the Ask.scipy.org people ?
- 1-page spec (matter of taste, I like a paper spec first).

  -- denis