[SciPy-User] getting started with arrays and matplotlib

Jonathan Rocher jrocher@enthought....
Fri Aug 12 02:00:41 CDT 2011

Dear Chris,

for documentation about the Enthought Tools Suite (open source, BSD-like
licence), let me point you to
Specifically about 2D visualization, Chaco is good at building interactive
plotting tools efficiently even with large datasets. Its entire
documentation can be found at
The documentation is not perfect but you can definitely find lots of
examples to follow in the
as well as in the
gallery <http://code.enthought.com/projects/chaco/gallery.php>.

Hope this helps.

On Fri, Aug 12, 2011 at 7:38 AM, Chris Withers <chris@simplistix.co.uk>wrote:

> On 09/08/2011 21:46, Dav Clark wrote:
> > Well, this is probably more basic than you want, but O'Reilly's "Data
> Analysis with Open Source Tools" is certainly a nice low-level intro for a
> beginner:
> >
> > http://oreilly.com/catalog/9780596802363
> >
> > It's available on Safari Bookshelf, and also talks about using matplotlib
> (and R and GSL and ...). I'm unaware of any nice Chaco "narratives."
> Thanks to you and everyone else for the great suggestions :-)
> >> Now, first question: what's the best way to build this array given that
> >> I may only see the arrival of a new venue a fair way through building
> >> the data structure? How can I efficiently say "please add a new row to
> >> my array", I don't know what the 4th dimension equivalent is ;-)
> >
> > You might consider doing what matlab does under the hood and just double
> the array when you run out of space.
> What's the best way to do this?
> cheers,
> Chris
> --
> Simplistix - Content Management, Batch Processing & Python Consulting
>            - http://www.simplistix.co.uk

Jonathan Rocher, PhD
Scientific software developer
Enthought, Inc.