[SciPy-User] R vs Python for simple interactive data analysis

Christopher Jordan-Squire cjordan1@uw....
Sat Aug 27 13:19:24 CDT 2011

Hi--I've been a moderately heavy R user for the past two years, so
about a month ago I took an (abbreviated) version of a simple data
analysis I did in R and tried to rewrite as much of it as possible,
line by line, into python using numpy and statsmodels. I didn't use
pandas, and I can't comment on how much it might have simplified

This comparison might be useful to some people, so I stuck it up on a
github repo. My overall impression is that R is much stronger for
interactive data analysis. Click on the link for more details why,
which are summarized in the README file.

The code examples should run out of the box with no downloads (other
than R, Python, numpy, scipy, and statsmodels) required.

-Chris Jordan-Squire