[SciPy-User] Help installing scipy

Robert Kern robert.kern@gmail....
Wed Nov 30 00:53:32 CST 2011

On Mon, Nov 28, 2011 at 17:19, Barris, Wes <Wes.Barris@cobb-vantress.com> wrote:
> I have a new CentOS 6 (64-bit) system.  It is running the latest
> rpm version of python:
> python-2.6.5-3.el6_0.2.x86_64
> I have also installed numpy:
> rpm -qa | fgrep numpy
> numpy-1.3.0-6.2.el6.x86_64
> I have downloaded the latest software source of scipy and am
> trying to install it.  When I run the first command I get an error:
> python setup.py build
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>  File "setup.py", line 196, in <module>
>    setup_package()
>  File "setup.py", line 147, in setup_package
>    from numpy.distutils.core import setup
> ImportError: No module named distutils.core

It looks like the RPM packager of numpy may have decided (poorly, in
our opinion) to separate out the numpy.distutils and numpy.f2py
packages into a separate numpy-devel RPM. Debian did this for a while
too, but we managed to convince them otherwise. Please check to see if
there is a numpy-devel package and if installing it lets you import
numpy.distutils and numpy.f2py.

However, as Ralf says, you will need a newer version of numpy for the
latest release of scipy, so this would just be to confirm this theory
for future reference.

Robert Kern

though it had an underlying truth."
  -- Umberto Eco