[SciPy-User] mailing list etiquette [Was: Re: nan handling by scipy.optimize]

Nathaniel Smith njs@pobox....
Thu Jul 26 12:30:42 CDT 2012

2012/7/26 Skipper Seabold <jsseabold@gmail.com>:
> Are there list etiquette suggestions posted anywhere? Out of office
> replies to mailing lists are one of my pet peeves. I think we all
> receive enough e-mail, wanted and otherwise.

Not sure what good posting etiquette suggestions would do... these
people are using buggy software to send spam. (Accidentally, but
still.) I think pretty much everyone knows that's a bad idea, they're
just oblivious. The traditional vacation program has extensive checks
built in to ensure that oblivious people won't create this kind of
but sadly this wisdom has been lost.

Honestly the best solution is probably for the list admins to kick
anyone who sends a vacation message off the list. Then their vacation
messages will start bouncing and they can re-subscribe when they get